Dr. J.J. Prescott is a senior academic affiliate with Edgeworth Economics. He is Professor of Law at the University of Michigan Law School, where he also serves as Co-Director of the Program in Law and Economics.
Professor Prescott is an expert in the use of statistical methods to better understand a range of issues that arise in both criminal and civil litigation, including labor and employment litigation. He regularly discusses his empirical research at the annual meetings of the American Law and Economics Association and the Conference on Empirical Legal Studies, and he has given papers at some of the world’s most prestigious institutions, including most recently at Stanford, Columbia, and the University of Chicago law schools.
Among the courses Professor Prescott teaches are Employment Law and Economic Analysis of Law. He also organizes Michigan’s Law and Economics Workshop, which hosts leading scholars from around the world presenting pioneering research.
Professor Prescott coauthored an NBER Working Paper entitled "Disaggregating Employment Protection: The Case of Disability Discrimination.” He also recently coauthored a Harvard Public Law Working Paper on high-low agreements in the context of litigation, which he presented at Harvard, Stanford, and Cornell law schools, among others.
- Faculty Affiliate, Population Studies Center, University of Michigan
- Associate Editor, International Review of Law and Economics
- Member, State Bar of California (admitted in 2002)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Economic Association
- Member, American Law and Economics Association
- Journal of Legal Studies
- Journal of Law and Economics
- Journal of Empirical Legal Studies
- American Law and Economics Review
- Review of Law and Economics
- Quarterly Journal of Economics
- Review of Economics and Statistics
- Journal of Labor Economics
- American Economic Journal: Applied Economics
- Journal of Public Economics
- Law and Society Review
- Law and Social Inquiry
- Crime and Delinquency
- Law Clerk for Judge Merrick B. Garland of the US Court of Appeals for the DC Circuit
- Visiting Researcher, Georgetown University Law Center
- Fellow in Law and Economics, University of Michigan Law School
- Post-Graduate Olin Research Fellow, Harvard Law School
Insights & News
- J.J. Prescott Joins Edgeworth Economics: Top National Economic Labor, Employment, Insurance and Damages ExpertPress Release, 07.23.2012
Edgeworth Economics announces the addition of University of Michigan Law Professor and economist J.J. Prescott as a senior academic affiliate.
Dr. Prescott earned his PhD in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and his JD, magna cum laude, from Harvard Law School, where he was an editor and treasurer of the Harvard Law Review. He received his BA in public policy and economics from Stanford University.