NFL Players Injury Analysis
Edgeworth Partner Dr. Jesse David completed analysis of comprehensive concussion and injury data for the 2012 NFL season, along with comparisons to prior seasons going back to 2004. Edgeworth's analysis updates its previous work for the NFLPA, reported by The Washington Post and Esquire in January 2011 and received extensive media coverage from various sports authorities, including the Associated Press Sports.
Using statistical and econometric analyses of available data, Dr. David and his team:
- Analyzed injury data, specifically mild traumatic brain injury trends, primarily to examine the effect of a recent rule adjustment during the kickoff
- Found that rules changes at kickoff reduced concussions in 2011 and 2012
- Found substantial increases in injury frequency and severity in 2011
- Analyzed the impact of injuries on player salaries and retirement rates based on injury data from 2002 to 2009
- Analyzed opponent injuries by team