Mergers & Acquisition Analysis
An assessment of the likely competitive effects of a merger or acquisition requires careful integration of economic theory to the specific facts of the industry and proposed deal in order to provide relevant empirical analysis. Edgeworth economists specialize in developing compelling empirical studies that directly address critical competitive issues. Moreover, we are known for communicating results with clarity and credibility to agency economists, business executives, legal counsel, judges, and policymakers.
Edgeworth economists have decades of combined experience analyzing deals. We have provided economic support for M&A filings in various jurisdictions around the world and across a wide range of industries, from industrial chemicals to hard disk drives.
Our thought leadership includes heavily cited published work in the areas of merger simulation and the econometric analysis of demand in differentiated products industries. Government agencies, including the US Department of Justice (DOJ), have retained Edgeworth economists to assist in M&A review. We have been invited to speak on merger analysis by the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the DOJ.
Edgeworth can provide assistance with all phases of the M&A review process, including:
- Analysis of the likely competitive effects of the deal
- Assessment of merger-related efficiencies, integrated into the competitive effects analysis
- Relevant market definition
- Analysis of entry conditions
- Pre-deal assessment of potential antitrust issues
- Assistance preparing parties’ responses to Second Requests in the US
- Assistance preparing parties’ international filings
- Expert witness testimony in deal-related litigation
- Litigation | 03.31.2018
- Business & Regulatory Consulting | 07.01.2015
- Business & Regulatory Consulting | 05.07.2012
- Litigation | 06.23.2011
- Business & Regulatory Consulting | 06.23.2011
Insights & News
- News, 08.01.2019
A total of seven Edgeworth experts have been featured in Who's Who Legal as leading competition economists.
- Press Release, 03.21.2019
Edgeworth Economics has been recognized for another consecutive year by Global Competition Review in its annual publication of the Economics 20.
- News, 05.31.2018
Dr. John Johnson, Dr. Gregory Leonard, and Dr. Fei Deng have been named to the Who's Who Legal 2018 listings of the most highly regarded competition economics practitioners. Dr. Johnson and Dr. Leonard were again named top economists, while Dr. Deng was again identified as a future leader in the space.
- News, 12.17.2014
Global Competition Review has named Edgeworth a top antitrust and competition economics firm.
- Press Release, 03.19.2013
Edgeworth Economics partner and antitrust expert Dr. Parker Normann has been selected as a finalist for the Global Competition Review’s 2013 Economist of The Year award.
- News, 03.12.2012
Led by Dr. Parker Normann, Edgeworth Economics provided expert economic analysis on one of four disputes selected by Global Competition Review as a team finalist for 2012 Matter of the Year.
- Press Release, 03.23.2011
Washington, DC – Edgeworth Economics is proud to announce that Dr. Parker Normann, an expert in antitrust economics, has joined the firm in Washington, D.C.